Friday, July 30, 2010

"Experience makes more timid men than it does wise ones." Josh Billings

Two things of vital importance:
  • I learned to swim today, essentially.
  • My nephew was born today. My sister's first.
I can't really do the breathing techniques correctly. Mainly it's the basics. I CAN FLOAT! I was always too afraid to do it before, plus I never really knew how or if I was doing it properly, but now I know how. I'm surprisingly better at the dead man's float than floating on my back, but I can do both. I swim underwater! I kick my feet and propel myself forward! Exciting! I'm trying out working my arms with it, but it'll take a while to get there.

The most exciting part of learning to swim is that I was stopped purely by my mental state. I was so fearful! But giving up that fear is what ultimately changed things. And the crazy thing is that it only took 30 minutes for me to learn! If I could learn to give up my other fears, I would be okay.

My sister had her first baby today! I am so excited for her! I am also extraordinarily nervous. So many people bring children into this world that they can't take care of. I am hoping to God she doesn't become one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment